[OPINION] Is K-Hip Hop On The Rise?




Yes I am shamelessly promoting Freestyle Day. Haha naw I just liked the pic and chose it cause everyone is in it.

So anyways, Is it me or is about 80% of my tlist now made up of k-hip hop fans? The spazzing is no longer limited to the hair sprayed out boy bands of kpop. I would probably say that a good chunk of kpop fans are either; also k-hip hop fans, have completely switched over or at least have general knowledge of k-hip hop artists and a song or two on their playlist.

Whereas two years ago they'd be like "Who the hell is New Champ??!!"

K-hip hop has BEEN on the rise but why now the sudden influx of fans and interest?



In my opinion, it's the mainstream artists who turned k-hip hop into what it's becoming today.

Because let me be honest, I didn't give a two fucks about Dok2's music until I heard him on a Jay Park track. The same with Dumbfoundead, The Quiett etc. I knew Dok2 was considered the best at that time and he was pretty cute but I was never so interested to the point of looking into his tracks.

And with Jay Park introducing me to Dok2, then Dok2 led me to The Quiett, The Quiett led me to Beenzino. Now Beenzino is the best thing that ever happened to me haha.

But these guys only dabbed me into k-hip hop. I listened to them and really nothing else.



And then this group called Block B releases with these two amazing rappers and the fire begins.

Now the bridge is fully drawn, linking kpop fans to k-hip hop. Block B introduces kpop fans to their on-slaught of young, sexy, talented underground friends.

And after this I just see a complete merge of the two fandoms.



Now were starting to see groups like phantom who are associated with Block B through almost Block B member Hanhae.

This brings us to the very sexy and attractive Sanchez by the way ;)

These guys may not be super popular for their music but general fans definitely know them.

I'm pretty sure no one can forget the head shot or the SNSD parody haha.



And there is also New Block Babyz,

more well known for their should I say daring member New Champ and that other guy Zinsuk. I kid I kid Zin =P



You could say they're more associated with B.A.P. but I always associated them with Block B because people only knew them because of Block B.

After Block B brought all this interest to the other sexy youngins in k-hip hop, I started seeing more and more kpop fans getting to know more about k-hip hop. Now my tlist is filled with New Champ and Zion T spazzing when just a year or two ago it was all about Dongwoon, Hoya etc.



Some might disagree, but I don't really give a fuck lulz. But I think it's E.via who really brought female rappers to the attention of general kpop fans.

It wasn't until Shake released that I wondered "Besides...Mirae. Who else is out there?" And that led me to artists like Rimi as I'm hooked on Rimi that led me to always be on the look out for other ladies underground.



This all is happening, especially with the boys, because these guys not only bring fresh, raw music to the table but they're care-free, fun, different, daring and just overall fun to watch. While kpop is dressed up, borderline fake, boring, and just scripted. Every show and interview is the same shit from years ago.

So you see, yes it's mainstream legends like Dynamic Duo and Epik High etc, who put k-hip hop on the map as far as getting in front of the general public, but it's these young new rappers who are turning it into a phenomena that can rival kpop.

Although k-hip hop is still on the back burner, it's definitely getting hotter everyday. Even in this post I didn't scratch the surface of the kids in this rising genre.

People need to know there is more to Korean music than just kpop.

If you're ever in Seoul, visit Hongdae to see what Korean kids are really listening to.

No comments:

Post a Comment